09 September 2009

A slow start with writing

I couldn't come up with a decent plot for a story today, so here's a bit of non-fiction [read: rambling]. My first post was short and didn't explain why I only wrote "on-and-off" all these years. I will attempt to explain now.

The first reason was that my family immigrated when I was 9, and I had to learn a new language [French]. A year later, we moved again, and I had to learn another new language [English]. I think that I was 12 the first time I tried to write a story; I didn't know English well enough to express myself, but I had also forgotten enough of my first language that it wasn't any better than English. I had only been exposed to French for one year, so that wasn't an option either.

My English had gotten better over the years, but my English teachers had made me hate all forms of writing, especially poetry. I didn't try to write again until high school. At that time, I was fond of constrained writing, so I experimented with that. The constraints killed my stories, but I learned some valuable lessons from my attempts.

However, high school presented me with another problem, although I didn't realize it then. My writing was good for my age; my teachers always praised my work. It seemed like a good thing at the time, but it went to my head. I was proud of my excellent writing, and it stopped me from learning and growing...until I tried to write another story, and realized that it was crap.

After that I started learning again, and I think my writing has gotten a lot better since then. My biggest challenge now is to keep writing regularly. Hopefully, the blog will keep me motivated. I don't really expect to write every single day, but I'll try to write at least every other day, or as often as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment