11 June 2011

June SSW: a finished first draft!

I'll still need to edit, but now I have a complete story. *happydance*

I thought I could finish by Friday night, but the last scene turned out to be two scenes, and by the time I finished the first of them, I was getting very sleepy.

I will probably cut most of the second last scene, because it's mostly tedious rambling, and doesn't add much to the story. But I needed to get that down to be able to think through what I wanted to say, and figure out how exactly I wanted to do the ending.

I finished the last last scene on Saturday. It was actually very short; I finished it in about 15-20 minutes, and then stared at the screen, thinking, "That was it?" I was expecting it to be a longer scene, but there was this one line at the end that was the perfect place to stop. I wrote it without really thinking, but when I saw it I realized that it tied everything up. Anything further would have been epilogue, and I don't think I need that.

I haven't been keeping track of wordcount this time around, because I knew I was close to the end, and at that point it was more important to get it finished than to get a certain number of words each day. The final wordcount of the unedited first draft is 6337 words.

I am very happy that I can finally move this story to the "done" folder.

No comments:

Post a Comment