22 November 2010

Nano 2010: day 22

The story is progressing well enough, but my writing style keeps fluctuating. In places, the writing is very serious, and in others it's downright silly. Here's an example of the ridiculousness I come up with sometimes:

  • There were also sounds of voices raised in anger or exasperation, but those died down quickly, for the fear of the mustelids was upon the men.

For the fear of the mustelids was upon the men? Seriously? But there you have it; these silly phrases just turn up from time to time, of their own accord. I swear I'm not responsible for them. If I could control when and where these things turned up, I would have a much more even writing style, instead of this swinging back and forth from uber-serious drama to utter silliness.

Maybe one day I will learn to control it, and then I will be unstoppable! (It's late. I need sleep.)

No comments:

Post a Comment